With the advent of digital flat panel monitors, Windows XP provides us with a new feature known as Clear Type font smoothing.
Clear Type improves the overall readability of fonts when viewed on flat panel, Liquid Crystal Displays (LCDs).
1. Go into your Control Panel by first clicking on the Start Button.
2. Click on the Control Panel icon located in the right column of the Start Menu.
3. If your Start Menu is set to the Classic View, then Click on the Start Button.
4. Click on Settings, then click on the Control Panel icon.
5. Double click on the Display icon to open up the Display Properties window.
6. Click on the Appearance tab located at the top of the screen.
7. Click on the Effects button located at the bottom right of the screen.
8. Locate the section entitled "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts:"
9. Ensure that there is a check mark placed in the white box that precedes this section.
10. With your mouse, change the default Standard font setting to ClearType.
11. Click on the OK button to save your changes and exit the Effects Properties windows.
12. Click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to close the Display Properties window.